Tooth Extraction Process
Removing damaged teeth in Atlanta and Marietta
Dental emergencies such as trauma and severe decay can affect the structure and stability of the teeth. Whenever possible, your dentist at Atlanta Dentures will make every effort to save your natural tooth; however, in some cases, tooth extraction is the best choice for your future dental health. After a dental extraction at our dental clinic in Marietta, your dentist will discuss proper tooth extraction aftercare and your tooth replacement options to maintain the appearance and function of your smile.
Potential Reasons for Tooth Extraction
Your teeth can endure a lot of punishment. That said, they are far from invincible. If you experience one of the following circumstances, you may need to have Dr. Van Galder perform a tooth extraction.
- Severe Damage or Decay: Any dentist will tell you that it’s best to preserve your natural teeth whenever possible. If your tooth is damaged or decayed past the point of saving, however, you may need to opt for a tooth extraction.
- Crowded Teeth: If your teeth are too big for your mouth, there’s a chance that they will start crowding, making dental hygiene more difficult. Tooth extraction is often an important first step of orthodontic treatment.
- Advanced Gum Disease: Flossing is critical to preventing gum disease. If your gum disease progresses to an advanced stage, the jaw bone may no longer be able to support your teeth.
What to Expect from an Extraction
Dr. Tom Van Galder makes tooth removal surprisingly comfortable. Dr. Tom’s vast experience in removing more than 17,000 teeth a year, for the past 29 years, will make your experience extremely tolerable.
- Local Anesthetic: First, your dentist will apply a local anesthetic to the treatment area. This will prevent you from experiencing any pain throughout the tooth extraction process.
- Extraction: Once the area is sufficiently numbed, Dr. Van Galder will proceed with the extraction. Extraction does not involve hard pulling, but rather a gentle rocking back and forth.
- Healing: After your tooth is removed, a natural blood clot should form around the area. When a tooth is removed as gently and quickly as Dr. Tom nearly always is able to do, the gums heal fast. Most people, even after 28 extractions, tell us they experienced no swelling and returned to work the very next day. We often hear people tell us they did not even need the pain pills that we always prescribe.
At Atlanta Dentures, we are well-known for our safe, fast, and effortless removal of all types of teeth.
Would you like to know more about tooth extraction and your dental health? Please call Atlanta Dentures today at (770) 426-0288 for more information about tooth extraction, same-day dentures, and general dental care in Marietta.